Friday, September 9, 2011

Trix, when people interview you, what is the most frequently asked question?

People are curious about how I became Deaf. It happened when I was 6 months old, due to meningitis. To be honest, it feels as if I've been Deaf all my life. I don't wear hearing aids, as they are not able to help me hear anything. I have had years of speech therapy, but my speech isn't perfect. People are also often curious about my age, marital status, whether or not my parents are hearing, and if I have deaf or hearing children. I am young at heart, and I always tell people that I am married to my career! My parents are hearing - I am the only Deaf person in my family. I have two hearing children who are now CODAs. (Children of Deaf Adults) And, yes, my children and I use ASL to communicate with one another! We love ASL!

No comments:

Post a Comment